Diatribe: Starting The Year Off With Guns A Blazin’.
While our elected officials continue to play politics in Washington and as of “dinnertime” on January 1, 2013, at least forty-four American citizens had been shot and seventeen others killed.
- Seven people were shot, one of them fatally, during a New Year’s party early Tuesday in Columbus, Georgia.
- Three people, one of them a 17-year-old boy, were shot and killed Tuesday morning in separate incidents in Philadelphia. The teenager was shot in the head following a house party. About two hours later, an unidentified man was shot and killed in the Frankford area of the city. Then, about 3 a.m., police were called to a house in North Philadelphia, where they found three gunshot victims. One later died at a hospital.
- Police investigated a double homicide Tuesday morning in Elizabeth City, N.C. The names of both victims were being withheld, but authorities said both were in their early 20s.
- Police in Suffolk, Va., said a 31-year-old man died at a hospital after he was shot at a “social gathering” about 3 a.m.
- In Chicago, which hit the grim milestone of 500 homicides in 2012 last week, New Year’s Day kept the toll clicking. A 20-year-old was killed Tuesday morning on the West Side, authorities said. He was among 11 people to have been shot so far Tuesday.
- Another man was also shot and killed early Tuesday at a South August, Georgia nightclub.
- A man killed one person and wounded four others Tuesday morning at a convenience store in Lansing, Michigan. Three of those injured were reported to be in critical condition.
- Four people were shot, one of them fatally, at about 3:30 a.m. at a gasoline station in Lorain, Ohio.
- A man fatally shot his girlfriend in the head in Port Arthur, Texas, during an argument Tuesday morning.
- A nineteen-year-old high school senior was killed and two other people were wounded during a shooting during a New Year’s Eve party at an American Legion building in Clayton, North Carolina.
- In Corpus Christi, Texas, a 35-year-old man who was found injured in parking lot Tuesday morning died at a hospital.
- Police in Flint, Mich., said they had no suspects in the death of a man who was found Tuesday morning with a gunshot wound.
- Indianapolis police who were called to a duplex shortly before 5:30 a.m. found a dead man with what appeared to be a gunshot wound. No other details were immediately available.
- Sheriff’s deputies were investigating a fatal shooting Tuesday afternoon in Columbia, South Carolina.
We absolutely must continue discussions regarding gun control and the types of weapons protected by the Second Amendment. We must contact our representatives and tell them that we want something done before it’s too late. If they don’t listen, we elect someone who will. Eventually, this epidemic will touch us all and someone who each we know will be shot and killed.
Like this post? Follow the blog and get involved in discussions! Find “Follow via Email” on the right side of the page and click “Follow.” Buttons for Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook are there, too!