bangers and mash, Boston, celebrating st. patrick's day, Chicago River, clover, driving snakes from ireland, dublin, erin go bragh, four-leaf clover, green beer, green milkshake, green river, greeting cards, happy st. patrick's day, Holiday, Ireland, irish, irish celebration, McDonalds, New York, religious holiday, shamrock, shamrock shake, signs of spring, st. patrick's day, st. patrick's day parade, st. patrick's day trivia, turning the chicago river green, wearing green for good luck
Ovation: St. Patrick’s Day Trivia.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! No matter how you celebrate … around the water cooler, with green beer at happy hour or over a meal of Bangers & Mash, a little bit of St. Patrick’s Day trivia knowledge can keep a conversation going. Enjoy!
- St. Patrick’s Day began as a religious holiday to honor the saint who, in the fifth century, introduced Christianity to Ireland.
- The first St. Patrick’s Day parade happened in New York on March 17, 1762.
- Green is associated with St. Patrick’s Day because it is the color of spring, of Ireland, and of the shamrock.
- 133 million People in the U.S. plan to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in 2014 and 83.2% of those celebrating plan to wear green.
- $4.8 billion is expected to be spent on St. Patrick’s Day in 2014.
- 30.5% of Americans plan to go to a bar or restaurant to celebrate.
- There are 2,900 species of snakes and, according to legend, St. Patrick drove all of them from Ireland.
- Erin go Bragh translates to “Ireland forever”.
- The odds of finding a white four-leaf clover are 1 in 10,000 for every common three-leaved clover.
- The very first St. Patrick’s Day parade was not in Ireland but in Boston in 1737.
- Forty pounds of dye are needed to turn the Chicago River green for the city’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade.
- There are seven places in the U.S. named Shamrock and sixteen places named Dublin.
- Ireland ranked fourth in global beer consumption per capita in 2011 with 101.1 liters. The U.S. ranked 15th.
- The name “Patrick” was the 142nd most popular name for a new baby in 2012.
- Fifteen million greeting cards are exchanged on St. Patrick’s Day, ten percent of which are sold in New York.
- In 2012, there were 34.2 million people in the U.S. with Irish ancestry.
- A 12-ounce limited edition green McDonald’s Shamrock Shake has 530 calories. The large-22-ounce size has 820.
Like this post? Follow the blog and get involved in discussions! Find “Follow via Email” on the right side of the page and click “Follow.” Click on buttons at the end of each post to share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and other social media sites, too!
Copyright © 2014 www.DiatribesAndOvations.com
Please feel free to share this post.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
From → Ovations